The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue?

Hi,

I installed the driver “NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.44.run” according to the instructions:

apt-get install dkms
service lightdm stop
cd /graphic_Driver_Dir
sh ./"NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.44.run" --dkms

After that I accepted the license, I received the following message:
“The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue?”

I clicked “Abort installation”.
Is this a problem?
May I disregard that message and continue with installation?

I’m using a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.
I didn’t install any graphic driver.

I wouldn’t disregard it. Ubuntu’s driver packages don’t interact well with the .run installer. I’d recommend either finding an Ubuntu package with the driver version you need, or uninstalling all of the Ubuntu NVIDIA driver packages before installing the .run package.

@aplattner:

I prefer to avoid installing an Ubuntu’s driver package, because that I already tried to install the package that the following PPA provides:

At first everything worked well, but when the kernel upgraded then something broke and CPU#2 was stuck for 23 seconds (it was a “soft lockup” message in ‘dmesg’).

As I wrote in my first post - my Ubuntu installation is fresh, which means that I don’t have any Nvidia drivers installed.
Currently I’m using Intel’s CPU built-in graphic module.

So I understand that I may disregard that message and continue with installation? (because that I don’t have an Nvidia driver installed)

I think they install something driver-related that provides that script, even if the driver itself isn’t installed. I’d recommend checking Ubuntu’s community documentation for help on uninstalling whatever pieces are installed by default that provide the pre-install hook script.

Nvidia driver installation fail. I m not able to login in my ubuntu got stuck in a loop each tym i enter password same login screen came again…what to do? totally frustated

I can confirm these bugs. It would be nice to see more concern from Nvidia to fix these bugs. I cannot use HDMI port on Linux due to this on MX150

Any update on this? I can not still connect HDMI also take " At first everything worked well, but when the kernel upgraded then something broke and CPU#2 was stuck for 23 seconds (it was a “soft lockup” message in ‘dmesg’)." stil…