Visual Studio 2015 + CUDA Toolkit Compatibility

I just started teaching a CUDA programming class this Fall and am running into a bit of a problem. It looks like Microsoft has stopped offering Visual Studio 2012 on DreamSpark. Only Visual Studio Community 15 is available. However, neither CUDA 7.5 or 8.0 will work with this version.

Am I correct in that CUDA development currently can’t be done on Windows for individual developers?

Thanks!

On 8/29/2016 2:48 PM, jbungo wrote:

Am I correct in that CUDA development currently can’t be done on Windows for individual developers?

No, you can indeed develop on Windows. For Windows support for the Teaching Kit, see the instructions and supported tools on in the Bitbucket repo information:

https://bitbucket.org/hwuligans/gputeachingkit-labs. 

Please let us know if you have further issues.

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 9:16 PM
To: jbungo
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2015 + CUDA Toolkit Compatibility

I appear to not have access to this repository.

On 8/30/2016 12:51 PM, jbungo wrote:

Perhaps the invite has expired or there was a different email associated. I have re-sent invites to you.

Let us know if you still have access issues.

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:59 PM

That worked, thanks. However, this seems to be the original solution, which doesn’t appear to be viable anymore.

To confirm: Microsoft no longer makes any version of Visual Studio available to students prior to Community 2015. We used to be able to get 2012 on DreamSpark, but they removed it. The CUDA toolkit 7.5 doesn’t appear to support VS 2015. CUDA 8.0 supports VS 2015, but not Service Pack 2 (which is what Community 2015 comes installed with).

So, as it stands, no existing version of CUDA supports an accessible version of Visual Studio. We are currently setting up a Linux cluster so that students can complete homework assignments. However, it would naturally be helpful for students with access to nVidia hardware at their home or office to be able to do development there.

I’ve seen a lot of chatter about this on the forums. I haven’t seen anything that works as a solution, though.

Am I wrong somewhere here? Do you know of any way to access previous versions of Visual Studio?

Thanks!

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 11:05 AM
To: David M.

Apologies it has taken so long to get back to you, was awaiting word from our CUDA team.

They have indicated that tomorrow (Sept. 28th), and updated CUDA version will be available that could solve your compatibility issue. They did not provide much more info other than that yet (which they might), but please do check to see if the new version tomorrow works.

Do you know of any way to access previous versions of Visual Studio?

Many of the schools using the Teaching Kit are using older versions of VS, but we aren’t sure how they all have access. Have you tried contacting Microsoft directly?

Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:20 PM

Yep, it looks like the new version of VS 2015 works with the new CUDA Toolkit. Thanks!