Fedora 25 uses Wayland by default... support?

With Fedora 25 released today, I was going through the release notes and they seem to have some pretty big changes. One that caught my eye was default support for Wayland. I haven’t been following its development all that much, but I am aware that there was some discrepancy between NVIDIA’s implementation of support and how the Linux community wanted it. I was just wondering what the plans are for this platform and how decent support for it is.

The NVIDIA driver supports KMS and EGLDevice/EGLStreams, which is their buffer allocation and management API similar to GBM wich is used by Mesa. Wayland compositors are built around the open source graphics stack with KMS and GBM so these compositors don’t work out of the box unless they add support for EGLStreams. GNOME did that for Mutter and landed the patches a few days ago. I don’t know if that was backported for Fedora 25.

More on that here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/925605/linux/nvidia-364-12-release-vulkan-glvnd-drm-kms-and-eglstreams/

I have used their driver with the EGLStreams support in GNOME on Arch and it works quite well, but there are some issues. My monitor can’t enter standby and just remains black and can’t wake up and there is no Xwayland support in the NVIDIA driver. SO anything that needs to talk to X, because it doesn’t support Wayland natively won’t start. So around 5% of my apps don’t work.

You can just select “Gnome on Xorg” in GDM as a session and everything is just fine so it’s not a big problem.

Thanks for the info and heads up! This makes me feel a little better about sticking with Fedora 24 at this point. As it’s at the ‘end’ of its lifecycle, it’s very stable and shouldn’t have too many issues. Flip-flopping between the KDE F24 and Mate CentOS 7.

Are there any mutter and gnome-shell rpms with EGLStreams for Fedora 25?

F25 EGLStreams needs a kernel change as well as mutter git to function (+ nvidia driver need modesetting module loaded into initramfs), no change to gnome-shell is needed.
I have tested it with local builds and it runs like crap, personally I wouldn’t bother trying it in F25.

It would be possible to rebuild f26 mutter mutter-3.23.2-2.fc26 | Build Info | koji
As for the kernel change required GTX 580 - 375.10 - Weston/EGLStream produces crash in kernel - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums

and it’s worth reading https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=773629

and loading modesetting module into initramfs

sudo gedit /etc/dracut.conf.d/nvidia.conf

add this to is

add_drivers+="nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm"
install_items+="/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

"

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

add this to it

options nvidia_drm modeset=1

then you rebuild initramfs