Why buffer frames in low-latency scenarios?

Hi,

I am buildig a low-latency encoding and streaming server and for starters I was orienting on your NvEncoder sample. I realized that you, for example for 1080 resolution, build a buffer queue of 16 frames when no B-frames are used, otherwise you use numB + 4. I am wondering what the point of this is? In the comment in line 800 you say “min buffers is numb + 1 + 3 pipelining” → why? Wouldn’t it be reasonable to feed data as soon as it’s available?

What also seems strange to me is, in NVENC_VideoEncoder_API_ProgGuide.pdf (version 7.1), in Table 1, you recommend the following NVENC settings for low-latency use cases:

• Low-Latency High Quality preset
  • Rate control mode = Two-pass CBR
  • Very low VBV buffer size (Single frame)
  • No B Frames
  • Infinite GOP length
  • Adaptive quantization2 (AQ) enabled

However, when I change these settings, I cannot recognize any difference. On the other hand, modifying the length of the buffer queue is very much noticable. Even in the NvEncoderLowLatency sample, you create a buffer of 3 frames and only call CNvHWEncoder::ProcessOutput when all buffers are occupied, causing a latency of 4 frames. I now modified my code to process the output immediately after feeding data, thus right after calling CNvHWEncoder::NvEncEncodeFrame and got the frame delay down to 1 by this. I wonder why you wait until there is a fourth frame arriving before you feed the first to the encoder, I am sure there is a reason. Is what I’m doing not recommended? If not, why?

Thanks!

In the comment in line 800 you say “min buffers is numb + 1 + 3 pipelining” → why? Wouldn’t it be reasonable to feed data as soon as it’s available?

3 buffers are allocated by the application for ensuring that copying of YUV data of the next frame is pipelined (overlapped) with the current frame’s encoding operation. For large resolutions, this copying can take significant amount of time. With the above method, as soon as the previous frame is done encoding, you can submit the new frame without waiting for copy operation to complete.

I wonder why you wait until there is a fourth frame arriving before you feed the first to the encoder, I am sure there is a reason.

There is no specific reason to wait other than what I mention above. In your application, you can submit the first frame to the encoder immediately.

alright, thanks!