High CPU usage of X and KWin on openSUSE Leap 42.2
Hello! I have a problem on openSUSE Leap 42.2 with KDE Plasma 5.8 - there is high CPU usage when the animation before screen goes off is played (dimming the screen). This is happening sometimes even on other more complex animations of Plasma. I have tried various settings of the driver and the settings in the "Compositor" section in the KDE settings, but nothing happened. I have measured the CPU with top and found that X and KWin are loading heavily the CPU in this cases - and the most annoying - so heavily that there are audio glitches when music has being played. System: Fujitsu Celsius H710 with Intel Core I7 2760, 8 GB RAM, 8 GB swap, nVidia Quadro 1000M; Software: openSUSE Leap 42.2 with kernel 4.4.46-11, nVidia proprietary drivers 375.26, X Server 1.18.3, KDE Plasma 5.8.3, qt 5.6.1, Frameworks 5.26.0. What should I do?
Hello!

I have a problem on openSUSE Leap 42.2 with KDE Plasma 5.8 - there is high CPU usage when the animation before screen goes off is played (dimming the screen). This is happening sometimes even on other more complex animations of Plasma. I have tried various settings of the driver and the settings in the "Compositor" section in the KDE settings, but nothing happened. I have measured the CPU with top and found that X and KWin are loading heavily the CPU in this cases - and the most annoying - so heavily that there are audio glitches when music has being played.

System:
Fujitsu Celsius H710 with Intel Core I7 2760, 8 GB RAM, 8 GB swap, nVidia Quadro 1000M;
Software:
openSUSE Leap 42.2 with kernel 4.4.46-11, nVidia proprietary drivers 375.26, X Server 1.18.3, KDE Plasma 5.8.3, qt 5.6.1, Frameworks 5.26.0.

What should I do?

Posted 02/19/2017 01:29 AM   
Hello again! Two days ago I have updated to 375.39 version and everything now works fine but only with "specific configuration": -In KDE Plasma Compositor section - OpenGL 3.1 selected as backend and disabled tearing prevention; -In NVIDIA X Settings, in the OpenGL section - "Sync to VBlank" and "Allow flipping" both disabled; Only with this settings the performance is significantly better, no high CPU usage, smooth desktop effects, everything is fine. In every other configuration the problem remains.
Hello again!

Two days ago I have updated to 375.39 version and everything now works fine but only with "specific configuration":
-In KDE Plasma Compositor section - OpenGL 3.1 selected as backend and disabled tearing prevention;
-In NVIDIA X Settings, in the OpenGL section - "Sync to VBlank" and "Allow flipping" both disabled;
Only with this settings the performance is significantly better, no high CPU usage, smooth desktop effects, everything is fine. In every other configuration the problem remains.

Posted 03/04/2017 01:15 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply