CUDA 9.0.176 installer fails every time

The following worked for me on Windows 10, Visual Studio 2017 including VS integration:

1. Download the Offline Installer (not the network)
  2. Extract the installer (the .exe file) using 7zip to a folder
  3. Run setup.exe that is inside that folder. Follow all prompts.

In my case I have to use CUDA 9.0 and cNN v 7.0 to be comparable with Tensorflow library.

I could say that I experienced absolutely the same. The installation was an awful experience which continued even more - 3 days of frustrations, installing, uninstalling and restarting. The instruction provided are not clear enough and in version “http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/9.0/Prod/docs/sidebar/CUDA_Installation_Guide_Windows.pdf” nowhere is said that the user have to use Nsight Visual Studio just to install the program properly.

In addition I have to read and compare the latest instructions to the instructions for v9.0 just not to miss some point. I would be great if we see some support from NVIDIA team here!

I can confirm that CUDA 9.1.85 fails to install due to the Visual Studio Integration step failing. I’m using Visual Studio 15.6.3. Shame on NVIDIA for releasing CUDA 9.1 for Windows without addressing the install issues with Visual Studio. Obviously, NVIDIA is not listening to the developer community since this problem has been around for over 6 months.

Having the exact same issue on a 1-day-old install of windows 10, also trying to get the GPU install of TensorFlow going on this setup. Awful.

Seeing the thread I downloaded VS Community 2015 Patch 3 and still have the issue w/installer version cuda_9.0.176_win10

EDIT: When I did the custom installation and unselected VS integration it installed fine.

After doing a fresh install of Windows 10 on my machine today, I installed NVIDIA Drivers (397.31) and then installed Visual Studio Community 2017. But when I try installing CUDA 9.1, every time the installer fails, showing a list of components that could not be installed.

My research on this as of now is the following:

1. After reading this page, I found out about unticking VS integrations and installing CUDA. I did that and it worked. Is it going to be a problem in the future to use the GPU optimally if VS integrations is unticked while installing CUDA ?

Theoretically it should, as CUDA would need VS compilers. Could anybody comment on this?

1. Also, I read somewhere ( https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/412523/develop-without-visual-studio-/ LOOK AT martiert’s cooment, last one in the page) that since CUDA needs compilers, it can get them from Windows SDK too. Visual studio is not compulsory. So currently I am trying that.

2. Also, I read something about NSight Visual Studio in kalevnikola’s comment on this page.

Is it compulsory to use NSight? Earlier it wasn’t (see How to install and run GPU enabled TensorFlow on Windows : this guy was trying to use CUDA 8.0, and the CUDA installer worked fine for him without Visual Studio or NSight or anything else).

This is so frustrating. Kindly help.

This is literally doesn’t make any sense. I’ve tried almost everything to no avail. If I uncheck Visual studio I can install it fine. BUT I NEED VISUAL STUDIO INTEGRATION.

What the absolute hell do I do? Every time I install it gives me “NVIDIA Installer Failed” with a bunch of stuff that says “Status Not Installed”.

NVIDA listen to these developers this is a real issue here. Please address this for the love of all that is holy. I’ve been driven to drinking because of this as well as the other person in the thread.

Anyone have any news on what to do? I can’t seem get the 9.1.85 version to install in either a fresh install of VS2017 (even with the v140 toolkit installed) or VS2015. In both cases the CUDA installer fails because the Visual Studio integration fails to install. Same error as BarryCuda above:

121.373 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVMsiPhase] 853@CNVMsiPhase::InvokePhase : COM error: -2147467259. 
    121.373 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 3004@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstallPackagePhases : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing package phase "NsightMSITraffic" ( 0 ms ). 
    121.374 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2043@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Package Phases in "visual_studio_integration_9.1" ( 0 ms ). 
    121.375 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2064@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Package "visual_studio_integration_9.1" failed with error: Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4029; Phase failure}.

I’m exhausted.

i have a same program, i try all you said. still cannot install with “visual studio integration”.

Same problem. I tried to install cuda 9.1.85 on win10 x64, with vs2017 15.6.7. After a whole day of frustration, I finally found this page, as mentioned above, the key is VISUAL STUDIO INTEGRATION.

But I wonder would it be ok leaving out the visual studio intergration if I only want to run tensorflow for python?

It’s ok to only install the cuda library, tensorflow works fine so far for me.

Hi All,
After 2 days of trial & error, including taking advices from this thread, i’ve managed to install both the CUDA toolkit & visual studio integration. In the absence of a bugfix in the official installer, i consider this as a nearly perfect solution, and can’t wait to share it with others here :-)

My environment: Win7 64 bit, Visual Studio 2015 Community update 3, CUDA Toolkit 9.1

Solution:

1. download the offline CUDA installer
  2. extract the installation files
  3. install CUDA except “visual studio integration”
  4. manually copy the “visual studio integration” files into MSBuild’s BuildCustomizations folder
  5. edit your .vcxproj file to point to those customizations

for steps (4 & 5), see this blog post

Enjoy!

Had the same issue here…
After wanting to install a newer graphics card driver, I wasn’t able to debug my cuda code anymore and after going back to the old driver it even deleted the whole Visual Studio integration.

Just wanting to thank albertazzf for his method, since it worked for me after 6 hours of trying un- and reinstalling :D

My environment: Win7 64bit, VS 2015 Community, Cuda 9.0

Really frustrated…

The error happens at this log sentence:

ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2064@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Package “visual_studio_integration_9.1” failed with error: Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4029; Phase failure}.

PerformInstall.cpp
Line: 4029

NVIDIA, please, get into the source file “PerformInstall.cpp” and find out what’s happening.

Developers need an explaination and solution.

MS Visual Studio v1.10.30640.0 works for CUDA 9.1 but not for CUDA 9.0.
I’ll do a custom install as i need to run Tensorflow only.

Same thing here. Very bad experience.

ERROR: [NVI2.NVOsConstraint] 87@CNVOsConstraint::PerformOperatingSystemCheck : Minimum OS version check fail - Version: 6.1.7601 < 6.3. 
ERROR: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 557@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Failed to load NvTelemetryStatusReporter.dll:  126. 
ERROR: [UpdateCore.UpdateCoreExtSite] 557@CUpdateCoreExtSite::ReportUpdateCoreTasksState : Failed to load NvTelemetryStatusReporter.dll:  126. 
ERROR: [NVI2.NVMsiPhase] 853@CNVMsiPhase::InvokePhase : COM error: -2147467259. 
ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2064@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Package "visual_studio_integration_8.0" failed with error: Exception {0x80004005 - 未指定的错误; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4029; Phase failure}.

I’m installing CUDA 8.0.61 for Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Update 3 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I tried uninstall and reinstall VS2015, didn’t work.

Cuda 9.0’s Visual Studio Integration fails on totally-updated Windows 10 with VS2017. Cuda 9.1 also fails for the same reason.

Here’s the log after installing Cuda 9.0 without Visual Studio Integration, and then only installing VS integration alone after the older drivers have been installed.

52.767 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 3004@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstallPackagePhases : Entering Checkpoint: Processing package phase "NsightMSITraffic". 
     52.767 |    DEBUG: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 3054@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstallPackagePhases : Condition "NsightMSIActionActiveAndTraffic" enabled phase "NsightMSITraffic". 
     52.767 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVMsiPhase] 853@CNVMsiPhase::InvokePhase : COM error: -2147467259. 
     52.767 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 3004@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstallPackagePhases : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing package phase "NsightMSITraffic" ( 0 ms ). 
     52.767 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2043@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Package Phases in "visual_studio_integration_9.0" ( 0 ms ). 
     52.769 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2064@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Package "visual_studio_integration_9.0" failed with error: Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4029; Phase failure}. 
     52.769 |    ERROR: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 2123@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Failing at package "visual_studio_integration_9.0" failed with error: Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error} - aborting install. 
     52.769 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 1919@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Package "visual_studio_integration_9.0" ( 0 ms ). 
     52.769 |     INFO: [NVI2.NVInstaller] 1899@CNVInstaller::InternalPerformInstall : Exiting Checkpoint: Processing Packages ( 0 ms ). 
     52.769 |    ERROR: [NVI2.InstallThread] 54@CInstallThread::ThreadProc : Install failed - Exception {0x80004005 - Unspecified error; File: PerformInstall.cpp; Line: 4029; Phase failure} - going to fail state.

Hi guys!

Try this:

[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1033111/cuda-setup-and-installation/cuda-9-1-cannot-install-due-to-failed-visual-studio-integration/post/5256916/#5256916[/url]

And this:

[url]CUDA 9.1 cannot install due to failed Visual Studio Integration - CUDA Setup and Installation - NVIDIA Developer Forums

I got Cuda 9.0 fully installed using the very long and annoying installation procedure outlined by @oregonduckman here:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1033111/cuda-setup-and-installation/cuda-9-1-cannot-install-due-to-failed-visual-studio-integration/

(should work also for 9.1)

The uninstallation procedure is awful. Apparently recent updates to windows and/or the nvidia drivers requires that the system be completely wiped of all traces of nvidia before installing 9.0 or 9.1 currently. The uninstallation involves switching the driver for the GPU(s) to Windows Basic VGA(s), and then using Revo Uninstaller to remove every trace of Nvidia from the computer, and then deleting all “Nvidia Corporation” folders from ProgramData, Program Files, etc. Then installing regularly should “Just Work”.

Awful, takes a very long time, and makes you feel you are ripping apart the innards of your system. UNTIL NVIDIA DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ERROR WHICH AFFECTS ~99% OF WINDOWS 10 USERS CURRENTLY INSTALLING CUDA FOR THE FIRST TIME (at least those who already installed display drivers beforehand), this is your best bet, sadly.

may be this source will help